söndag 23 april 2017

Anton Chekhov - The Cherry Orchard (Göteborgs stadsteater)


Last Friday, I went to see Göteborgs stadsteater's production of Anton Chekhov's play The Cherry Orchard (Original title: Вишнёвый сад) directed by Anja Suša in Göteborg (Gothenburg). It tells the tale of the aristocratic Madame Lyubov Andreievna Ranevskaya who returns to the family estate that is about to be auctioned to pay the mortgage. She gets offers to help save it, but is not at all interested in them and it is sold to Jermolaj Aleksejevitj Lopachin who is the the son of one of the family's former serfs. He cuts down the cherry orchard as the family leaves the estate.

The play deals a lot with class issues with an aristocracy trying to remain its status and societal position in a changing society and a new upcoming bourgoisie class trying to trying to find its way in their new materialistic reality. It opened at Moscow Art Theatre on 17 January 1904 and I can see how it can work in a modern setting whre classes are changing and no one really knows how to deal with there new position in society.

However, the production at Göteborgs stadsteater did not adapt the play into a contemporary setting very well. Almost throughout the entire play it felt like the characters actions did not fit with what they said, making the production feel confusing. The political statement became quite exaggerated and too much in your face for my taste. They were also the best example of how the character's actions did not fit with their actions, making the statements feel very misplaced, even though some of them I can actually agree to some extent with.

In the original play, Ranevskaja's brother Leonid Andrejevitj Gajev likes to play billiard, which in Göteborgs stadsteater's production had been changed to table tennis for some unknown reason. According to the English Wikipedia page about the play the billiard obsession is a symbol of the aristocractic decadent life-style and incompetence to adapt to a new reality. Having Lopachin come in with a golden table tennis racquet trying to interupt Ranevskaja and Gajev's game, like he did, would therefore be quite a strong symbol, but it was all lost to me due to the confusion that I felt about the play already by then.

I must admit, I was mainly interested in seeing the play because Simon J Berger played Lopachin. He is my favourite Swedish actor and he and the others did a good job with it all. The only problem I had was with the character Dunjasja who is described as husa (maid), which was not at all clear. The girl sounded robotic and I sat through the entire play wondering if it was intentional or not. She also had a puppet, which seemed to be an older version of herself which made it even more confusing. The main reason why I think the robotic tone of her voice was intentional, was that she did not use it while speaking with the sort of changed voice through the puppet.

So to sum it all up, as I have now read about the play, I can understand a few of the choices that was made during the production, but I should not have to read about the play to understand what I saw on stage and a lot of it is still a great mystery to me...

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar